QuickData DBX to PST Converter – Product Review
DBX to PST Converter is developed to convert Outlook Express data files to MS Outlook supported PST format. The features offered by the former are limited to emails and contacts whereas the users have modernized themselves with the latest technology and applications.
With this transformation, wide switch of email applications from Outlook Express to MS Outlook has been noticed as users want to experience all the new properties offered by the respective application specially the latest version.
Let’s have a quick look on the product:
- Application Name- QuickData DBX to PST Converter
- Current Version– 4.1
- Application Size– 24.8 MB
- Interface– Graphical User Interface
- Supported Windows OS– Windows 8.1 and all below versions
- Trial version– Free version is available
- License– Personal, Business, and Enterprise
Functional Criteria with Additional Features: Explained
The current version of the product is v4.1 and it is available in Personal, Business as well as Enterprise License. The working procedure provided here is explained after careful analysis over Business License of the tool.
- Upload File Folder: At first, it requires uploading DBX files to the tool panel. This can be done by uploading either;
- Single DBX file containing multiple email messages; or
- Folder containing multiple DBX files with numerous emails.
Additional Feature while DBX Upload:
Here, what I like the most is when the ‘Folder’ option is been selected, tool further offered the option to automatically detect the location of folder that contains multiple DBX files on machine. This can be done by selecting the checkbox available with “Auto-detect the storage location” option.
- Browse Location: The converter software then offers to select the file that has to be converted and this can be done by clicking on the ‘Browse’ and then ‘Add’ button.
- Preview Items: Once the file is been selected for upload, all the integrated email items gets displayed in the preview pane.
Additional Feature while Items Preview:
When all the items get displayed, the tool offers supplementary features that include:
- To export selective emails for conversion by clicking on the associated checkboxes.
- The email message body content can be accessed in multiple ways including Hex view, Property View, Message Header view, MIME view and many more.
- The enclosed attachments can be previewed in the ‘Attachments’ tab within the tool panel.
- Export File: The very next step involves conversion of DBX items to PST file format; that makes the data compatible to access in MS Outlook application.
Additional Features while Export:
Split PST: While exporting data, the DBX to PST Converter tool offers to store the resultant Outlook data file in smaller units. In case the original file holds large volume data, storage into limited proportion will split it and this way data is saved in tidier format.
EML MSG Storage: Apart from PST, the tool also provides the provision to export emails to EML and MSG file formats. Both of these formats stores single email per file and offers organized storage as well. Additionally, in events of corruption or file failure, the possibility of data getting inaccessible reduces to greater extent.
Selective Folder Export: The tool also provides the flexibility of exporting selective email folders to selected file format. For example: if ‘Deleted items’ folder is not required, it can simply be eradicated from export by selecting the associated checkbox. This helps saving time as well as disk space as the unnecessary folders are not moved to the new file.
- Export Report: Once the export process is done, an ‘Export Report’ gets generated and is thereafter displayed. This report holds the detail of the individual email folders that have been converted along with the complete path where the newly created files are saved on machine.
Additional Feature after Export:
This ‘Export Report’ can be saved on the machine as CSV file and thereafter, be used for future consideration.
Other Side of the Converter Software-Forensics Outlook
The tool is useful for personal usage and is even beneficial for small to middle scale industries. Bulk migration makes it considerable for large businesses as well as IT organizations too. Apart from this, it may prove to be quite commendable for forensics investigators as the assembled features helps analyzing email data and collecting evidences thereafter.
Multiple email views such as Hex and Message Header view could help recovering encrypted or hidden information from the email messages. Thus, this software can also be considered for Forensics Investigation of Outlook Express emails.
Therefore, it can be concluded that DBX to PST Converter works in a straight-forward way and the conversion procedure involves four easy to implement steps including Browse, Add, Preview and Export. Following thorough analysis and assessment of the overall working criteria and performance, my rating for the tool is 8.910.